Canadian History Hunters recently had the opportunity to visit one of the few historic farmhouses that remain in Surrey. In the early 1880’s John Stewart purchased the farm and became involved in the dyking of the Nicomeckl River, an important early transportation route for the community of Elgin. In 1884 Mr. Stewart married his wife Anne and started a family. Over the next 60 years the farm developed to include an orchard, pole barn, root cellar, vegetable garden and various outbuildings that remain to this day. The pole barn erected by the Stewart’s, with the help of their neighbours, remains the last of its kind in the region. Today the farm is owned and operated by the City of Surrey and has been well preserved for all to enjoy. On the day of our visit the farm was bustling with activity, groups touring the farmhouse, wedding parties capturing the occasion with photographs, children learning about pioneer life and boaters enjoying the river. For more information about the farm, or to plan your visit, please go to the City of Surrey website.